Saturday 19 June 2010

Thai cold cures

I wouldn't expect to be writing about cures for colds and coughs in mid June, but as I write there is a stiff, and decidedly chilly wind blowing outside, and I have picked up a lovely sniffle thanks to the office air-conditioning. Add to the mix my propensity for hayfever and I am a snot-ridden mess. I'd like ideally to remove my head or soak it in ice cold water, but since neither are particularly practical, not to mention messy, I'm sticking with an old fashioned cure-all recipe to flush out my bunged up head. I've always been an advocate of soup to remedy a cold, but as I have got older, I have found that the spicier they are the better they are at shifting a cold and enabling you to breathe freely again. I'm in need of something more substantial than soup, so tonight's dinner is thai green chicken curry. Fast and simple to prepare, and I'm making it as hot as I can stomach.

The key is to get the paste made well in advance so it can develop a good flavour, and once you have that to hand it's a really easy dish to assemble. I've opted for some skinless chicken thighs instead of prawns, so I simply add those after I have fried off the paste in a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil (or any flavourless oil will do) for a couple of minutes. To prevent the paste from catching and burning I add a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk which then allows the chicken to cook through a bit more, before pouring in the rest, with some chopped french beans. That then simmers with a tablespoon of fish sauce, a good squeeze of lime juice and a teaspoon of sugar to taste. I find that those last three ingredients should be added to your own personal taste. I personally like a zingy lime finish to my thai curries, so I usually add a good bit more. Keep altering the amounts until you get the right taste for your palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment