Friday 29 October 2010

Around Toronto in 24 coffee shops

I'm a bit of a box ticker and list crosser offer.  I'm competitive when it comes to collecting passport stamps and fridge magnets of places I have been.  As a kid I loved collecting stickers for my Panini albums and I'd glow with self importance if the teacher asked me to take the class register.  So I was quite intrigued when a friend introduced me to Toronto’s Indie Coffee Passport.  The perfect concept; a coffee treasure hunt.  The idea is simple; buy a passport for $25, visit each of the 24 participating outlets between now and the end of March, and get a free coffee worth up to $5.  Most important of all don't forget to get your passport stamp.  For me this is a great way to explore the city and catch up with my new coffee drinking, employment seeking friends.

27102010013First on the list this week was The Tampered Press over in Trinity Bellwoods. I almost walked past it trying to find it, as it is quite unassuming from the road. Inside it has regulatory coffee shop exposed brick walls and a newspaper strewn communal dining table. High stools at the wooden ledge peer outwards to the street and drink in the sun. A lone chap sits at the head of the table plugging away on his lap top, a few passers by drop in to take out, and mums drift in for a caffeine revival as their sleeping babies allow a moments relief.  There is a genuine ease to this place.

27102010010It’s a lovely warm day outside so I begin with an iced mochaccino. It was a tad too coffee-ey and not chocolatey enough for me, but it was easily sweetened with sugar which amazingly I was able to stir with an ACTUAL teaspoon and not those useless wooden sticks (how are you supposed to eat the creamy foam on your cappuccino with a wooden stick?) As the street lights begin to blink on, I order a milky cappuccino and pumpkin loaf, which comes slathered in the dreamiest brown sugar cream cheese frosting. Trundling home on the tram through the early evening city I wondered if I might be able to get my frosting to taste as good as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment