Tuesday 31 August 2010

In the mood for comfort food

So I hear that the weather back in the UK has been a little on the gloomy side, or dare I say it autumnal?  You'll be arguing over when to put the heating back on before you know it.  Well, I'm sorry to depress you all but it has been pretty hot here in Toronto and I've been busy trying to even out my strapmarks.  So given the weather here it doesn't really explain why I decided to make this for dinner.  In my defence the skies did begin to grey over in the afternoon, but I'll admit it was totally unsuitable to be eating mashed potato in August.  Definitely one I'll be repeating when the mercury begins to plummet. 

Mashed potato is one of the founder members of the 'comfort food' movement.  Creamy, smooth and easy to eat (although a pain to prepare), it's what I hanker after when I am too lazy to be bothered to use a knife AND fork to eat my food.  For this dish I've gone for the classic Irish variation of Champ, which just means you add spring onions (green onions or scallions) to mashed potatoes.  The bean & corn casserole isn't really a casserole, I just couldn't think of a better name for it.  It's another way for me to get my fix of sweetcorn before they run out and also allowed me to road test yellow beans which they have here.  Who knew you could get yellow beans and not just green?  Well I admit it, I didn't, but I can report they taste exactly the same as green ones in case you were wondering.  For this dish I have specified using either chicken breasts or leg quarters, but to be honest if you are feeding more people it makes sense to roast a whole chicken, so just increase the ingredients to take into account your numbers.

Roast Chicken with Champ Mash, Green Beans & Corn Casserole.

Feeds 2
You will need

For the chicken...
2 x chicken breasts or chicken leg quarters (skin on)
3 garlic cloves
6-8 thyme sprigs
1 tsp dried oregano
1 lemon
2 tbsps olive oil
salt & pepper

For the Champ mash
4 medium sized potatoes
30g butter
50mls milk or cream
2 spring onions chopped
salt & pepper

For the bean & corn casserole
Kernels from 1 corn on the cob (or 150 frozen/canned)
150g french green beans trimmed
100mls chicken stock
20g butter
2 spring onions chopped
salt & pepper

  • Start by preparing the chicken and getting it in the oven.  Heat the oven to 180c/350F.  Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to a roasting tin.  Leave the garlic cloves in their skins and crush them before adding to a roasting tin. Scatter on the herbs, cut the lemon into quarters and squeeze one or two over the chicken.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Depending on whether you are using breasts or leg quarters it will vary the amount of time you need to allow.  About 25 minutes for the breasts (depending on their size) and about 45 minutes for the leg quarters.  Always check it's cooked through before serving.
  • While the chicken is roasting, peel the potatoes and add to pan full of cold water with a little salt.  Make sure you use a pan with a lid.  Bring to the boil for 10-15 minutes until soft, but not water logged!  Add the french green beans for approx 3 minutes at the end. Turn the heat off, drain, and keep to one side in the lidded pan.
  • Now onto the beans & corn.  Melt the butter into a pan and add the spring onions and fry them for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the corn and green beans and coat in the butter for a minute or so.  Turn up the heat and add the chicken stock, allowing it to bubble and reduce for a further 2 to 3 minutes.  Keep on a low heat until you are ready to serve.
  • Back to the mashed potato.  If you have a potato ricer (Gordon swears by them and I have to admit he is right), then use that, otherwise just mash the potatoes adding the butter, cream/milk and season.  Stir through the spring onions.  Make sure you taste it and adjust the seasoning to your liking.  If you think it needs more butter or milk or cream then add some in now.
  • Everything is ready to serve once the chicken is out of the oven and has rested for a few minutes.  Spoon over some of the pan juices from the chicken, but also there should be some liquid from the bean & corn dish too.

No comments:

Post a Comment