Friday 20 August 2010

Sweetcorn is a wondrous thing


A vegetable that tastes sweet and not vegetablish at all.  Please understand that I don't have anything against your everyday vegetables, it's just that I don't yearn for carrots and broccoli they way I swoon at sweetcorn.  I've never once said 'oooh go on then, you've twisted my arm, pass me the cabbage', and it is not that I dislike eating them either, I'm pretty good at getting in my 5-a-day, it's just that sweetcorn, or to be more specific, corn on the cob, is such a pleasure to eat.  Maybe it is all that butter that has something to do with it?  Come to think of it maybe part of the reason I like asparagus so much is because of all that buttery hollandaise sauce...and cauliflower cheese I love I suppose, yes because the humble cauliflower is made so much better with the addition of, aah, cheese sauce.  Ok so, I've spotted a theme, but in all seriousness, nothing beats a corn on the cob, smothered in melted butter with plenty of salt and pepper, or maybe a bit of paprika if I'm in the mood for something different.  I always have to go back over the cob, just checking that I haven't missed a bit.  Which of course I haven't.

Luckily for me, corn is king in Canada, and we're right in the middle of the season now that runs up until October.  They sell it everywhere, it's cheap, so there are no excuses.  They don't just have the plain yellow variety either (what, you thought there was only one kind right?), nope, there's bi-colour and white as well.  The bi-colour is more commonly referred to as peaches 'n' cream, because the kernels are a mix of yellow and white.  I wondered if it was because the kernels tasted like peaches and cream, apparently not, but I do think they are somewhat sweeter than I'm used to.  I stocked up on some more at St.Lawrence Market in downtown Toronto yesterday and used some to make a zingy Mexican salad that goes well alongside any grilled meat.  We ate ours with spicy chicken thighs, but pork chops, steak or even a meaty fish like tuna or swordfish would work well. 

There's no real technique to this salad, just cook the corn in boiling water, leave it to cool and then using a knife just strip the kernels from the cob.  While you are waiting for the corn to cook, slice an avocado, half a green pepper into strips and half a red onion into half moon slices.  Sprinkle on some dried chilli flakes or add a fresh red chilli if you prefer and add the cooled corn.  Finally add some chopped fresh coriander, the zest of a lime and about half the juice.  Drizzle with some olive oil and a sprinkling of salt, give it all a stir and then you are ready to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment