Saturday 29 January 2011

Holy guacamole


Before

Mr G is cooking up his chilli for tonight's dinner (as well as several bagfuls for the freezer), and I have to admit in very hush tones that his is considerably better than mine.  It's true, it's yummy, there, I said it.  So with my nose well and truly disjointed, I had to do something to edge into the spotlight, so I'm making guacamole, and my version is well and truly better than his.  In all honesty he's never made it, but I know that should he bother I'd beat him.

This recipe is very approximate, and you should just add more/less of each ingredient to suit your taste.  Suffice to say that I don't think any guacamole is complete without lime juice, salt and fresh coriander leaf (cilantro), and of course a ripe avocado.  The guacamole police will tell you that a good guacamole should be chunky in consistency.  I couldn't care less, do what you like, so long as it tastes good.  I normally blitz everything until smooth in my blender, but tonight I made it by adding all the ingredients to a pestle & mortar and mashing it up, mainly because I couldn't be arsed to get the blender out.   
After

You will need:
1 x ripe medium-large avocado
2-3 cherry tomatoes or a quarter of a regular tomato chopped
1tbsp lime juice
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp chilli powder or chilli flakes or some chopped fresh jalapeno chilli (as much as you can stand)
1 tbsp finely chopped red onion or 1 finely sliced spring onion
1 small handful fresh coriander chopped

As previously advised combine the ingredients using whatever method you prefer.  Season with pepper, and then taste to check if it needs more lime, salt or chilli and adjust to your taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment