Saturday 12 February 2011

A cup of tea and a warm buttered Welsh Cake

I am technically a quarter Welsh, although I have never had much of an affinity to the Land of My Fathers, or Nana in my case, but I like leeks, Gavin & Stacey and I am fond of daffodils, so the Welsh gene must be somewhere amidst all that Englishness.  In the mood for something to drink with my afternoon cuppa, I thought I would give Welsh Cakes a go.  I've had them once before; they look unremarkable, quite understated in fact, but served warm with butter, a sprinkling of sugar or drizzle of honey they beat having a biscuit with a cup of tea any day.  They are easy to make, a bit like cookies or biscuits, except instead of baking them in the oven, you griddle them on the stove top.

225g self raising flour
75g caster sugar + extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice (or pumpkin spice)
110g cold butter
75g sultanas
1 large egg lightly beaten

Sift the flour, sugar and spice together.  Add the butter in cubes and rub the mixture in with your fingertips until you have a crumbly, sandy texture.  Tip in the sultanas and mix in the egg.  Form a dough once the egg is incorporated, and add a little milk if it is too dry. 



On a floured surface roll out the dough, and use a cutter (approx 6cm in diameter) to cut out the cakes.  They should be about 0.5cm or 1/4 inch thick.  Keep re-rolling the dough until you run out.

If you have a cast iron griddle, then use this, but otherwise any thick, heavy bottomed pan will do.  Liberally grease it with butter and cook the cakes on a low-medium heat for 3 minutes each side until golden brown.  If they are browing too quickly, reduce the heat so they still get the 3 minutes they need on each side to cook through the middle.

Serve with a cup of tea, whilst still warm with butter and honey!

1 comment:

  1. Well I don't think Nana made welsh cakes but my Aunty Jean used to make really nice ones but you probably had one of Marion's Mums one you were little, as she always used to make a big batch for Marion.

    ReplyDelete